The installation of Gitflow on Ubuntu is a lead-pipe cinch. You just issue an apt install command and you’re good to go:
apt install git-flow
How to install Gitflow
Unfortunately, the Windows Gitflow install isn’t quite as simple. To install Gitflow on Windows, follow these steps:
- Download both the bin and dependency files for GnuWin from SourceForge
- Extract the contents of the GnuWin downloads to a temp folder
- From the extracted bin folder, copy these three files to Git’s bin directory:
- Run the following command from your Git installation folder:
git clone --recursive git://github.com/nvie/gitflow.git
- Open a command window with Administrative in the contrib folder of the cloned repo
- Run the following command, pointing to Git’s installation root:
msysgit-install.cmd "C:\Program Files\Git"
- Run git flow version to verify the Windows Gitflow install
When you complete these Windows Gitflow installation steps, the the Gitflow tool will be available through the git utility when accessed through the command line.